Cheese toasties are the ultimate comfort food! This one’s filled with two types of cheese, sliced gherkins & fennel salami. Served in homemade sourdough.
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase using these links, at no extra cost you. For more information, click here.
In this recipe, I’ll show you how to make the ultimate cheese toasties! For extra flavour, we’re adding in some sliced gherkins & a punchy fennel salami. Feel free to make it without the salami to make it veggie...
When it comes to making a cheese toastie, my all time favourite bread to use would have to be sourdough! As the toastie is cooked, all the holes in the bread’s crumb get filled with molten cheese… This is all personal preference though so feel free to go with any type of bread. A classic white loaf or something wholemeal would work well.
For this grilled cheese, we’re using a combination of mature cheddar & double Gloucester. Again, this is personal preference, so if want to use different cheese that’s fine! Some torn up mozzarella would make a good addition!
I’ve used a fennel salami in this toastie. Some slices of meat really help cut through the richness from the cheese. If you haven’t got any salami, some sliced ham, chicken or even beef would work. The salami I use is from Duchy Charcuterie in the UK.
Now the gherkins. If you like them, they add a nice bit of crunch & tanginess to the toastie. If you don’t leave them out or you could use some thinly sliced onion instead.
Cooking The Toastie
Once we’ve assembled the sandwich, we spread a generous amount of softened butter onto the bread then toast in a frying pan. This step is key to getting a rich, crispy toastie. Weighing the toastie down whilst it’s cooking helps the cheese melt fully.
Please note that these are affiliate links & I may make a small commission if you make a purchase using these links, at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
- Step By Step Sourdough
- How To Make A Sourdough Starter
- The Ultimate BLT
- Chicken Kiev Sandwich
- Spicy Prawn Rolls
Salami & Gherkin Cheese Toaste
- Large Frying Pan
- Sandwich/Burger Press
- 8 Slices Sourdough
- 16 Slices Salami
- 250 g Cheese, Sliced I Use Cheddar & Double Gloucester
- 4 Gherkins Sliced Lengthways
- 60 g Butter Softened
- To assemble a toastie, take a slice of sourdough & cover the top with a handful of sliced cheese. Top this with a sliced gherkin, four slices of salami & another handful of cheese. Place another slice of sourdough on top.
- Spread a good amount of softened butter onto the top of the sandwich then place, butter side down into a frying pan set over a medium heat.
- Place something heavy on top of the toastie to press it down whilst cooking (this could be a sandwich press, a saucepan or a tin) & cook for 3-4 minutes or until the bread is golden brown & the cheese is starting to melt.
- Remove the weight from the toastie & spread the top piece of bread with butter. Flip the toastie over & cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted.
- Serve immediately.