The ultimate BLT. Here we take freshly baked focaccia & fill it with smoked streaky bacon, fresh tomato, lettuce & a confit garlic mayo.
For this sandwich, we’re using my overnight focaccia recipe (which can found here).
This is the ultimate bread to use for sandwiches, if I do say so myself! It’s light, fluffy and the open crumb does a great job of catching the garlic mayo & bacon juices.
When it comes to the bacon, feel free to use whatever type is your favourite. I prefer streaky over back bacon so for the purposes of this recipe, I’m using that. You can also use unsmoked bacon if preferred but I find that it adds an extra layer of flavour to this sandwich.
For the crispiest bacon, we’re cooking it in a super hot oven but a frying pan on a stove can also be used.
For the lettuce part of a BLT, you’ll want to use one that’s crisp, crunchy & sweet as it cuts through the saltiness from the bacon & also adds texture. I’ve gone for little gem but romaine is a great alternative.
When it comes to the tomatoes, I’d recommend using a large one like a beef tomato. Slices of these are the perfect size to fit in a sandwich & won’t fall out as you eat it, like a cherry or plum tomato would.
Confit Garlic Mayo
To finish this sandwich off, I’ve gone for my confit garlic mayo recipe (which can be found here). The roasted garlic flavour that this brings really does a good job of bringing this sandwich all together.
More Sandwich Recipes
- Overnight Focaccia
- Confit Garlic Mayo
- Fried Salami & Mozzarella Focaccia
- Chicken Kiev Sandwich
- Spicy Prawn Rolls
- Fried Pepperoni Ciabatta
If you have enjoyed this recipe, it would mean a lot if you could leave a review & rating!
The Ultimate BLT Sandwich
- Large Baking Tray
- 1 Loaf Overnight Focaccia
- 18 Rashers Smoked Streaky Bacon
- 4 Large, Ripe Tomatoes
- 2 Heads Little Gem Lettuce
- 1 Batch Confit Garlic Mayo
- Preheat an oven to 210°c.
- Lay your bacon onto a lined baking tray & cook in the oven until crispy, around 10-15 minutes. Flip the bacon over, halfway through cooking.
- Whilst your bacon is cooking, trim the bottom off of each little gem, separate into leaves then wash & leave to drain.Thinly slice the tomatoes then season with Maldon salt & freshly cracked pepper.Cut the focaccia into 6 even pieces then cut each piece in half horizontally.
- To Assemble Each Sandwich.Take the bottom piece of focaccia & top with a thin layer of garlic mayo, followed by 2-3 leaves of gem, a couple of slices of tomato & 3 rashers of bacon. Spread another layer of garlic mayo onto the top piece of focaccia & place on top of the sandwich.Slice the BLT in half & serve.