Super tasty spicy prawn rolls. Here, a homemade bun is filled with King prawns, shredded little gem & a spicy cocktail sauce.
For these buns, we’re using my hot dog bun recipe, which can be found here.
We’re prepping like you would if you were making a lobster roll. This means splitting them down the middle & trimming the sides slightly. We then spreading butter onto the sides & toast them in a frying pan.
The filling consists of shredded lettuce, cooked king prawns coated in a spicy cocktail sauce & topped with finely sliced chives. The spice in these rolls comes from the cayenne pepper in the cocktail sauce.
If you’d like to make them even spicier, a spoonful of sriracha or hot sauce would work well!
This cocktail sauce is based on a marie rose & is made from mayonnaise, tomato ketchup, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, gherkin juice, brandy, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika & celery salt.
For an extra crunch, we are also adding diced gherkins, celery & finely chopped capers.
As mentioned above, we are prepping the hot dog rolls like you would if you were making a lobster roll. To do this, split each bun down the middle with a knife then cut a small amount of bread from the sides of the rolls, to make a flat surface & expose the crumb. Next, we spread a good amount of softened butter onto each side & toast them in a frying pan.
Once the buns have all been toasted, add a handful of shredded lettuce into the bottom of each one.
Mix the prawns into the cocktail sauce then spoon a good amount into each bun. Top the prawns with a sprinkling of finely sliced chives & a dusting of smoked paprika. Serve immediately.
A Note On Prawns
When you buy cooked & peeled prawns, it’s important to double check for any remaining shell!
More Bread & Sandwich Recipes
- Hot Dog Buns
- Overnight Focaccia
- The Ultimate BLT
- Chicken Kiev Sandwich
- Fried Pepperoni Ciabatta
- Beer Battered Fish Sandwich
If you have enjoyed this recipe, it would mean a lot if you could leave a review & rating!
Spicy Prawn Rolls
- Mixing Bowl
- 200 g Cooked, King Prawns Peeled
- 100 g Mayonnaise
- 50 g Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp Gherkin Juice From a jar of gherkins
- 1 tsp Brandy Optional
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ tsp Smoked Paprika
- ¼ tsp Celery Salt
- 2 Gherkins
- 1 Stick Celery
- 1 tsp Capers
- 20 g Chives
- 5 Hot Dog Buns
- 2 Heads Little Gem Lettuce Washed & Finely Shredded
- 20 g Butter Softened
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, lemon, Worcestershire sauce, gherkin juice, brandy (if using), cayenne, paprika & celery salt. Season with table salt & freshly cracked black pepper then set aside.
- Next, finely dice the gherkins and celery & roughly chop the capers. Add to the sauce. Finely cut the chives & add half to the sauce (reserve the rest to sprinkle over the finished rolls).
- Finally, check that no shell has been left on the prawns then mix them through the cocktail sauce.
- The Sandwich.Start by trimming each bun so that both sides are flat then cut straight down the middle, almost all the way through. Brush the flat sides with the softened butter then toast in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Once toasted, add a handful of shredded lettuce to each bun, followed by a spoonful or two of prawns then a dusting of smoke paprika & a sprinkling of chives. Serve immediately.