Coated in herby breadcrumbs and cornflakes then cooked in an air fryer, these mozzarella sticks are super crispy & gooey. The ultimate lunchtime snack!
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase using these links, at no extra cost you. For more information, click here.
These mozzarella sticks are super easy to make. If you’ve got an air fryer & you love mozzarella sticks, these are for you!
When you make mozzarella sticks, it’s important to use the correct type of cheese. You’ll need to get your hands on a block of firm, low moisture mozzarella. This sort of mozzarella, is ideal for this recipe because they hold their shape whilst cooking. They are also key in getting the stringy cheese pull that any good mozzarella stick have.
After we’ve cut the cheese into sticks & coated them in breadcrumbs, we need to freeze them for at least 1 hour. If you skip this step, the mozzarella tends to ooze out before they have finished cooking!
For these mozzarella sticks, we’re coating them in a mixture of dried herbs, panko breadcrumbs & blitzed up cornflakes. We using cornflakes for a bit of extra flavour but if you haven’t got any, they’ll taste great. Just replace them with extra breadcrumbs.
I’ve flavoured my breadcrumbs with garlic & onion granules and some dried mixed herbs. If you want to make something a bit spicier, throw in some chilli powder & smoked paprika as well.
The Air Fryer
To make cook the mozzarella sticks, you’ll need an air fryer. If doesn’t matter which one you use, as long as you can cook at 190°c with it.
If you would prefer to deep fry these in oil, follow the recipe as normal but cook in a deep fat fryer at 180°c for 4-5 minutes instead.
Please note that these are affiliate links & I may make a small commission if you make a purchase using these links, at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Air Fryer
- 3 Mixing Bowls
- 1 Block Low Moisture Mozzarella
- 100 g Panko Breadcrumbs
- 100 g Cornflakes
- 1 tsp Garlic Granules
- 1 tsp Onion Granules
- 1 tsp Dried Mixed Herbs
- 60 g Plain Flour
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 tsp Milk
- 2 tsp Vegetable Oil
- Maldon Salt
- Start by cutting the block of mozzarella into sticks, roughly 1.5 cm wide.
- Next prepare the panè station.In a food processor, blitz the cornflakes into coarse crumbs then combine in a bowl with the breadcrumbs, garlic, onion & herbs. In another bowl, beat together the eggs & milk. Place the flour into a third bowl.Season each bowl with salt & pepper.
- To panè, first roll a mozzarella stick in the flour, dip in the egg then roll in the breadcrumbs. Dip the mozzarella back in the egg then roll in the breadcrumbs again. Transfer to a lined baking tray.Repeat with the remaining mozzarella sticks then place them in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Drizzle the mozzarella sticks with 2 tsp of vegetable oil then place into the air fryer basket in a single layer, leaving plenty of space between each stick – you might have to cook them in batches.Air fry @ 190°c for 5-8 minutes, until the mozzarella sticks are golden brown & crispy.
- Season with sea salt & serve immediately.
This prevents the cheese from melting too quickly whilst in the air fryer. Make sure to use a low moisture mozzarella for this recipe.
Mozzarella balls have a high moisture content & won’t hold their shape whilst cooking. The secret to a super crispy coating is the double panè. This also stops the cheese from leaking.